Monday, January 16, 2012

Weekday Meals: Spicy Thai Noodles




This is a super quick and easy recipe for those days when you're strapped for time.  It makes a pretty large batch of noodles, so you may want to half the recipe.  Or you can be like Jason and "make extra so we have leftovers for lunch." Another plus is that it's gluten free.  I can't remember where I saw the original recipe, so sorry about that.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 1-3 Tbs red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you want the meal
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 cup grated carrots
  • 1/4 cup peanuts, roughly chopped
  • 1 bunch green onions, diced
  • 1 box rice noodles {You can find them in the Asian food section of any large grocery store.}
  • Optional: 1 lb protein.  I usually use chicken.


Instructions:
  • In a small skillet, heat the oil and the red pepper flakes on low heat.  The idea is to infuse the oil with the flavor and heat of the red pepper flakes without burning the flakes.  It should take around 10-15 minutes to completely infuse if your heat is low enough.  Strain the oil into a bowl and discard the flakes.  The infused oil will give the meal a spicy flavor that isn't overpowering.  It's more of a slow burn.

  • Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Add the noodles and cook until al dente and drain.
  • While the oil is heating prepare the vegetables.
  • After the noodles are cooked, toss everything together.  Sprinkle the top with the chopped peanuts and sesame seeds, if desired.



And that's how you get dinner on the table in under 30 minutes.

And in addition to my yoga New Year's Resolution, I started the Bikram Yoga 30 Challenge today.  It's 30 classes of Bikram Yoga in 30 days.  I'm a little nervous about the challenge, but I'm very intrigued as to how it'll turn out.  I'll be sure to keep everyone informed of my journey along the way!

1 comment:

Rebeka said...

This looks super tasty! I think I would have to use less pepper flakes b/c I'm SUCH a wimp when it comes to spicy food! But I love that this recipe uses mostly all things I have in my cupboard and seems super easy. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment