Saturday, January 14, 2012

School and New Year's Resolutions and Yoga Mat Confessions

School started last Monday.  I somehow managed to not be prepared for any of my classes.  Nor did I buy any school supplies.  Needless to say I 100% did not want to be there.  I'm not sure why I was such a negative Nancy, but the concept of another semester in school makes me want to crawl under my bed and hide.  I'm slowly coming to turns with the reality, albeit a little reluctantly.

In other news, one of my New Year's Resolutions was to attend 4 days of Bikram yoga for an entire year.  My class attendance was pretty steady until last fall and then it basically took a nose dive.  I could give you a million reasons as to why, but the important part was that I stopped exercising completely.  And I could tell.  So in 2012 I set out to change that.  I figured I'd talk about it here, and will be posting a Yoga Mat Confession post weekly.  I'll sum up how my resolution is going and anything I may have figured out that week.

This week was difficult.  Finding time to exercise in between school, work, and life is difficult.  But it's not impossible.  In fact, I think the hardest part about exercise of any part is just getting into the car and driving to the gym/studio.  I needed to go to yoga last night.  I did not want to go.  I sat in my office and debated with myself for the entire hour between work and my yoga class.  I'd had a frustrating day.  I wanted to sit on the couch and mope and eat cheetos.  I don't even eat cheetos.  It was classic defeatist thinking.  At the end of the hour, I got in the car and drove to the yoga studio.  The closer I got to the studio the better I began to feel and the less stressed I became.  I pushed myself really hard through the entire 90 minutes.  I was exhausted afterwards.  But my head was clear and my heart was light.  Focused athletic energy has a way of doing that.

So even though I'm not thrilled about another semester; I'm ready to take it on.  It'll be spring before no time.

And sorry for the picture less post, I'm still trying to decide on what type of photos to use for these yoga mat confessions.  I can't exactly take pictures of myself during class and you certain don't want to see my afterwards.  If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a lovely weekend.

2 comments:

Legally Lovely said...

I completely understand the "beginning of the semester" blues. It is SO HARD to come back and be motivated after a long break.

I also understand the exercising thing. Again, so hard to get motivated, especially with everything going on. Good for you to committing to Yoga though!

Abby said...

Ack is it bad I kind of feel the same way about school and I'm only in my First Year!!!

Maybe for the mat confession pics you could post pics of your favorite yoga poses! I love seeing all the awesome possible yoga poses!

Post a Comment