Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bon Jour, I'm Julia Child...Ok, maybe not


But it was French night at my house recently.

After watching Julie and Julia for about the billionth time, I realized that I'd never tried one of Julia's recipes and as reminded by my friend, that I'm terrible at following them in the first place. I think the exact phrase was, "don't give Summer one of your favorite family recipes, because she's going to go what she wants with it anyway."  In my defense they always end up better my way, but I digress.

So if I was going to follow a recipe from start to finish, I figured a Julia Child would be the way to go.  I decided on her famous boeuf a la bourguigonne (and people thought I wouldn't be able to put my French to practical use).  Boeuf a la bourguigonne is basically a stewed meat dish and although it's fairly labor intensive in the beginning, it can be made a day in advance, which makes it perfect for dinner parties.  Prior to cooking this meal, I hated mushrooms.  I could not understand why anyone would eat a fungus...until I skillet fried them in butter.  They were melt in your mouth delicious.  However, the real show stopper were the slow simmered pearl onions.  I literally could have eaten an entire bowl of those pearls of deliciousness.  When the meat, mushrooms, and pearls were all combined (after the meat simmered for 4 hours) the entire dish was nothing short of extraordinary.  Everyone should try this recipe at least once.  It's definitely going on my "special dinner" rotation list.

The French Feast:
Brie, Pears, and Artisan Crackers
A fresh baguette
Boeuf a la bourguigonne
Sweet Cream and Strawberries for dessert

It was pretty fantastic and definitely worth all of the effort and money!  You should give it a try!

Appetizer set up and yes, I did design and print out a menu.

The Star of the Hour

Sweet Cream and Berries- A thin custard that was oh so delicious.  Please ignore the mess in the background!
Utnil next time,

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment